- Marvel has announced an ongoing series starring recently-out gay mutant Iceman, which looks to be the company's first ongoing book with a gay male lead. No creative team has been announced, but this is nonetheless a promising step for Marvel in improving its LGBTQ representation.
- Vox offers a fascinating look into the life and work of one Chuck Tingle, the author of absurdist gay erotica with titles like My Billionaire Triceratops Craves Gay Ass, Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt, Pounded In The Butt By My Book "Pounded In The Butt By My Own Butt", and Pounded By The Pound: Turned Gay By The Socioeconomic Implications Of Britain Leaving The European Union. It's entirely possible that his persona is an elaborate prank, but his story still makes for a compelling read.
‘The list of things that Tingle’s narrators have had sex with includes, but is not limited to: the state of California; glazed donuts; the Dress; Bigfoot pirates; a gay unicorn biker and a gay unicorn colonel, though not simultaneously; Donald Trump’s attempt to avoid plagiarism accusations; Starbucks Christmas cups; a billionaire triceratops; a T. rex comedian and a clan of triceratops rappers (stand-ins for Bill Murray and the Wu Tang Clan); ghost boats; velociraptors from outer space; a secret-agent brontosaurus; the White House; the British pound; a plane; a train; a vampire night bus; his own books; press about his own books; existential dread; his own concept of linear time. In other words, Tingle’s humor can be characterized as a strong mix of the anthropomorphic and the highly political. In his writing, the two elements coexist. For example, in Creamed in the Butt by My Handsome Living Corn, Tingle opens by addressing the growing politicization of the agriculture industry; his main character, a farmer, is growing weary of being wooed by corporate interests. Half a page later, he’s ogling a very attractive ear of corn on the cob. (“I ... stare at him, completely taken aback by the vegetable’s shockingly good looks.”) Within the narrative of Chuck Tingle as a self-aware performance artist, the objective is to lampoon bigotry, homophobia, and other conservative mentalities — and it works wonderfully. Of course, this narrative assumes the whole thing is meant as a joke. But what if it isn’t?’
- In 2017, we're all Groot. Again. Obviously. Ooka-chaka.
- Nintendo announced its new gaming platform, a handheld/console hybrid which it's dubbed Nintendo Switch. Predictably, the name prompted a slew of raunchy jokes from gays on Twitter.
- The first trailer for March's Logan, billed as Hugh Jackman's final appearance in the Wolverine role after eight previous films (including cameos), promises a more brutal and decidedly R-rated take on the character than we've yet seen on film.
- Comic artist Steve Dillon has passed away at only 54.. Dillon's career included work on series such as Judge Dredd, Hellblazer, The Punisher, and Wolverine, but he's still best known as the artist and co-creator (with writer Garth Ennis) of the much-acclaimed Preacher, now an AMC TV series.
- Finally, Lucasfilm announced that actor, comedian, and onetime Spider-Man hopeful Donald Glover would take on the role of a younger Lando Calrissian in the upcoming Han Solo prequel film, currently due for release in May 2018.
As always, stay tuned to Geeks OUT for more!